Saturday, July 9, 2011

Fun in the Sun- and other not so fun news....

My dad and little sister came down this weekend and spent the 4th of July with us. It's the first time they have seen either of the boys, in person at least. I haven't seen my Dad in 3 years and my youngest sister, Ashley, in over 4 years!

Timothy was having a blast playing in his little pool with "the girl Ashy" he calls her. Nathan was enjoying watching all the excitement and wanted to hop out of Daddy's arms and be a part of it.

Nathan has got to meet two of his grandpas so far and Timothy has finally got to meet his final grandpa; my father, Grandpa Jeff.

Hopefully he'll get to meet grandpa Rob before too long. Unfortunately, little Nathan will probably be in a helmet when he meets my step-dad....

....let me explain.

Shortly following Monday's fun-in-the-sun the
Borja family headed down to Phoenix Children's Hospital on Tuesday to meet with a neurologist. Nathan has been diagnosed with Craniosynostosis and will be undergoing surgery on his skull this month.

It's sounds worse than it is.
Craniosynostosis is when one or more of the joints between the bones of an infant's skull close prematurely, before the infant's brain is fully formed. When a baby has craniosynostosis, his or her brain can't grow in its natural shape and the head is misshapen.

They consider the procedure to be a minor surgery, taking only 1-2 hours and requiring only two days in the hospital. We have to rush the surgery in order to achieve optimum results. There won't be any risk of mental retardation or handicap, since the brain will not be touched during the operation. He will have to wear a helmet or band for 2-6 months after the operation to aid with the reshaping process.

At first I was very upset to hear that he would require surgery. Mainly because I had made this appointment 2 months ago and been really praying that the skull growth would slow down. We chose not to tell anyone about the possibility of a surgery until we knew for sure. People just have so many other worries to bog down their mind, we didn't feel it was necessary to worry everyone if it wasn't going to be serious.

We met the surgeon and we talked about everything that is involved . We're working with our super-slow insurance company to get the surgery scheduled within the month. And the hospital is phenomenal! It is one of the most impressive facilities I have seen, and all of the staff are so caring.
I'm glad that God brought us to this facility, and this doctor.

Pray for my baby. He just started laughing this past week, it's the most amazing thing! His eyes sparkle like stars and his whole body glows with pure joy!

1 comment: