Thursday, July 28, 2011

Nathan the Brave

Nathan's surgery went very well, thank you to all those who called and emailed us during this trying time. Thanks as well for all of your prayers and encouraging words.

He went through a lot and handled it better than I think I could have. From breathing tubes, bladder taps, 5 IV's, 2 blood transfusions, and numerous labs...he really amazes me. He hasn't had any form of pain killers in 2 days: he's playing, laughing, talking and eating well.

Before Surgery:
We had to check in at 5:30 in the morning so he could get some blood drawn. It was 80 degrees already. Yuck! I'm never moving to Phoenix!

So, after he got over his initial surprise by the blood pressure cuff....

...he decided he still didn't like it!

He had a blood draw, from his head, so we would have his blood type, if needed. Then we had 2 hours of waiting before surgery. I have never seen anyone draw blood from the head, but the nurse said that it's best for infants who need a lot of labs because the blood flows quickly and this is actually the least painful place.

Our first look at Natie after the surgery. He was still waking up from the anesthesia. This is the part where I cried...a lot. He was so pale.

After the oxygen mask and breathing equipment was removed.

The doctors asked for me to not feed him after 4:30 am and he didn't get out of surgery until 12, and then the anesthesia lingered another hour- so when he woke up I had a bottle waiting and he was hungry. I was so happy to see him eating.

Daddy and Timmy kept busy by watching all of the hospital construction through the window. Lots of tractors and forklift-y type stuff to see.

Day #2 when his color came back and his swelling went down.
Sleeping during his transfusion.

The large device on his wrist is an alarm. It ensures that he doesn't go anywhere without permission.

At home, in his swing, and happy!
The difference in his head shape is amazing!

We get his cranio band in two weeks, aka The Helmet. He will have to wear it 23 hours a day for about 5 months...I hope it isn't ugly.

1 comment:

  1. That is nice that they took the blood from his head. When Beth had her hernia surgery at 6 weeks they took it from her finger, drop by drop! It took so long, and she was crying the whole time.